Duathlon 1: Sunday 20 September 2020
Our one and only duathlon for winter 2020, and also our first time back at Scorching Bay after Covid-19 cut the 2019-20 season short. And while virtual racing is fun it’s time to take the bike off the wind trainer, dig out your thermals and enjoy what winter in Wellington brings. There are our usual three distance options on offer – short, medium and long – and on our usual course.
New for the 20-21 season – electronic timing! We know you all love getting your splits and crunching the numbers so we’ve introduced a fancy new timing system this season (thanks to Bengy from Barefoot Sports ie, Splash n Dash and Xterra). When you click on the ENTER button below you will be taken to an external website which will ensure that everything syncs up correctly with the results. We’re still working on things behind the scenes and hope to open entries soon. Stay tuned!
I’m free in September. Sign me up!
I’m super keen. Lock me in for the series!
Registration is on the morning between 6.45am and 7.45am in the clubrooms (the brick building just south of the toilet block). When you register you will receive your race number. You must have a race number to enter transition.
Transition will be open from 6.45am to 7.50am.
Late entries available on the day with a $5 late fee.
There are 3 distance options available this weekend:
- Short: 1km opening run / 6km cycle / 2.5km final run
- Medium: 2.5km opening run / 15km cycle / 5km final run
- Long: 5km opening run / 30km cycle / 10km final run
We understand that bad days happen so if at any point you decide to shorten the distance just let our timekeepers know at the finish line. We’re all about completion, whatever distance that may turn out to be.
6.45am Registration and transition opens
7.45am Registration closes
7.50am Transition closes
7.55am Event briefing for all participants
8.00am Event Start: long course*
8.30am Event Start: medium course*
8.45am Event Start: short course, all
11.00am (approx) Final finisher expected
*depending on numbers there may be separate wave starts for men and women
- The minimum age to enter is 10 years for the short course, 16 years for medium & long
- If you think you’ve entered but haven’t received a confirmation email please let us know. If your name isn’t on our entrants list you will need to pay on the day (+ late fee).
- There is no timing system for this event. You will receive an overall finish time only, no splits.
- All roads are open. You must treat all roads as being open to other road users and obey the road rules at all times.
- Know your course! There are marshals on course but it is up to you to know where you need to turn, how to get into transition, and where to mount and dismount your bike. Please check out the course maps beforehand.
- No drafting on the bike please.
- Please do not attempt to overtake any vehicles. If you encounter slow traffic that is unfortunately bad luck. Please be considerate to ALL road users.
- Please obey the marshals at the turnaround points. They are there for your safety.
- The condition of your gear is your responsibility. Please check that everything is up to scratch and in good working order.
- If you choose not to continue at any stage please notify the finish line marshals so we can reconcile all our participants.
- Wellington’s weather can be a bit finicky. Please dress to the conditions. First aid will be there but we’d prefer they don’t have any hypothermia cases.
- Remember, this isn’t the world champs. Please be considerate and supportive of your fellow participants.