TRIATHLON 1: SUNDAY 24 NOVEMBER 2019
IT’S TRIATHLON SEASON! Time to squeeze back into the wetsuit and hit the water. We’ve got our usual distance options available – short, medium and long – and this event sees the first of two slightly longer Enduro distances. This should appeal to those heading into the long course season plus there are Enduro points up for grabs – the fastest combined time over the two Enduro events wins! (We’re not sure what you win yet, we’re still working on it).
For this first event we’re keeping the swim short since it’s still pretty cold in Wellington at this time of year, and we’ll have a 250m swim course set so you have the option of cutting it short if you need to. As always there are duathlon, aquabike and swim only options available too. (For those completing swim laps the tide will determine the turn for the next lap – on the beach at low tide, in the water at high tide).
Please note, due to traffic management restrictions there is a cut off time on the bike course. You must have reached Scorching Bay to start your final lap of the bike by 9.45am. If you come in after this time you will be asked to continue straight to the run. You must have turned at Scorching Bay to start your final lap of the run by 11am.
Registration is on the morning between 6.45am and 7.30am in the clubrooms (the brick building just south of the toilet block). When you register you will receive your race number. You must have a race number to enter transition.
Transition will be open from 6.45am to 7.30am. First event (enduro) away at 7.45am.
Late entries are available on the day, cash only.
There are 4 distances on offer this weekend.
- SHORT : 250m swim (1 lap) / 6km cycle (1 lap) / 2.5km run (1 lap)
- MEDIUM : 500m (2 laps) swim / 15km cycle (1 lap) / 5km run (2 laps)
- LONG : 500m swim (2 laps) / 30km cycle (2 laps) / 9km run (3 laps)
- ENDURO : 750m swim (3 laps) / 45km cycle (3 laps) / 12km run (4 long laps)
Aquabike, duathlon and swim only options available for each distance
PLEASE NOTE: Due to major road works taking place on the run course the run is slightly different for this event. Make sure you check out the maps before event day!
There are two prices available depending on how much you procrastinate:
Enter between before 18 November:
Student: $35 (primary, intermediate or high school student)
Enter between 18-21 November:
On the day entries: (CASH ONLY)
Adults & Teams: $50
Or enter the 2 event Enduro Series for $65 (Sunday 24 November and Sunday 9 February). Only available until Thursday 21 November.
(Schedule to be confirmed depending on numbers)
6.45am Registration and transition opens
7.25am Registration closes
7.30am Transition closes
7.40am Event briefing for all participants
7.45am Event Start: Enduro*
8.00am Event Start: Long & Medium*
8.30am Event Start: short course, all
11.15am (approx) Final finisher expected
*depending on numbers there may be separate wave starts for men and women
- The minimum age to enter is 10 years for the short course, 16 years for medium & long
- If you think you’ve entered but haven’t received a confirmation email please let us know. If your name isn’t on our entrants list you will need to pay on the day (+ late fee).
- There is no timing system for this event. You will receive an overall finish time only, no splits.
- All roads are open. You must treat all roads as being open to other road users and obey the road rules at all times.
- Know your course! There are marshals on course but it is up to you to know where you need to turn, how to get into transition, and where to mount and dismount your bike. Please check out the course maps beforehand.
- Due to traffic management restrictions there is a cut off time on the bike course. You must have reached Scorching Bay to start your final lap of the bike by 9.45am. If you come in after this time you will be asked to continue straight to the run.
- No drafting on the bike please.
- Please do not attempt to overtake any vehicles. If you encounter slow traffic that is unfortunately bad luck. Please be considerate to ALL road users.
- Please obey the marshals at the turnaround points. They are there for your safety.
- The condition of your gear is your responsibility. Please check that everything is up to scratch and in good working order.
- If you choose not to continue at any stage please notify the finish line marshals so we can reconcile all our participants.
- Wellington’s weather can be a bit finicky. Please dress to the conditions. First aid will be there but we’d prefer they don’t have any hypothermia cases.
- Remember, this isn’t the world champs. Please be considerate and supportive of your fellow participants.